Thursday, January 04, 2007

Pondering I

Here's the first example to consider when trying to decide if science has progressed beyond our biology.

The question really leads to moral questions very quickly. When I read this article my initial, gut reaction was to be aghast. At one level it is surprising that we have the medical knowledge to "stop" aging. Then the surgery to remove the girls sexual organs leaves me nonplussed. But were these parents wrong to make this decision?

I think I think it is wrong. But I still can't bring myself to condemn their decision. The girl is never going to develop adult emotions and intelligence. Is it better that she not experience the physical challenges of maturing? I'm not a medical doctor or a psychiatrist so I'm not sure. What would it do to a psyche that is essentially 3 months old to go through puberty and experience monthly menstural cycles?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home