Friday, February 02, 2007

Baby, It's Cold Outside

I'm not a smoker. More or less. When I was in college I would occassionally bum a cig from a friend at the bar. I never really liked it and I stopped a long time ago. Now, once in a while I smoke a cigar. This happens maybe once every other month.

Out of college I started working for a firm in the Loop. I was there for almost 5 years. Now, I'm working downtown again and have been here for just over 2 years. From the start of the first stint I have always been amazed by the smokers huddled outside in the freezing cold.

If you got the layers to bundle up in and the gumption to do so, walk the Loop during business hours today or next Monday and Tuesday and you will seem them. They're huddled up against the side of buildings trying to avoid the wind. Ducked into an alley sheltering beside a dumpster filled with who knows what. Some are tough guys/gals. They don't have their coat on. Others are wrapped up in sweaters, coats, hats, and gloves. All have their shoulders hunched trying to be as small as possible. Trying to wrap themselves around some core ball of heat and to limit the body space being whipped by the wind. It looks painful. It has to be painful.

I know nicotine is addictive but I also know dozens and dozens of people who have stopped. I can't imagine how just one day standing in3 degree wind chills doesn't inspire all of them to drop their habit. Not that it would happen that day. They may need nicotine gum or the patch or the laser treatment but just STOP.

It's Cold Outside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home