Thursday, July 22, 2010

Old Habits Dying Hard

IIRC, I got my first ATM card about 20 years ago. For the first 18 or 19 of those years the ATM machine would suck your card in to its guts and hold it hostage until you completed your transaction. Then it spits it back at you and loudly beeps at you incessantly until you retrieve your card.

The new machines (at least to my bank) have you swipe and remove your card in a reader. You then do your thing and the card never leaves your possession. It is probably a better system that prevents people from forgetting their cards.

The thing is for me, all those years of experience with my card held hostage formed a habit that is hard to break. After performing my ATM transaction I stand there for a second or two, staring at the machine, waiting for my card to spit back at me. Never mind that I had just tucked it back into my wallet 30 seconds earlier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home