Monday, December 18, 2006

Traffic Enforcement

Chicago officals are developing plans to have plain clothes police man dangerous intersections to ticket aggressive drivers.

Now I'm one to be concerned about over policing. I don't like the number of security cameras being installed everywhere. But in the case of traffic enforcement I make an exception. I've felt for years that the civility and quality of driving in the city has fallen precipitously. Total disregard for traffic controls seems more the norm than obeying them.

Speeding is always a problem. I'm known for fast driving on highways but I WILL NOT SPEED on residential streets. It's just too dangerous. You just won't see people stepping out from between cars in time.

In The Loop where I work I see cars try to force their ways through crowded crosswalks. Part of this is because the traffic controls in The Loop need upgrading. Turn arrows would make a big difference. And pedestrians aren't completely blameless. At some intersections where there are turn arrows pedestrians step out in front of turning cars. Still, the drivers are inconvenienced by the pedestrians. The pedestrians are endangered by the drivers.

Chicago's red light enforcement cameras have helped reduce the routine running of red lights. Over the summer when I was returning from a suburban softball league I would cross the intersection of Fullerton/Elston/Ashland. Not once did I not see the stobe of the red light camera as someone ran the light.

Now, if the cameras and plainclothes enforcers can be used to stop my other big pet peeve. Improper lane usage. Many, many drivers will pull up in a right hand lane to turn left or vice versa depending on which lane moves the quickest. In the end they end up slowing everyone down because of their own self importance.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home