Monday, September 24, 2007

Perspective

Sometime in January I bought my first camera (not counting the cell phone), a Nikon, point and shoot, digital jobby. I'm not entirely sure what prompted me to do it -- I've always avoided being in photographs like they would give me the plague -- but I felt some desire to do it. So I took it on a few bike rides, took it on a trip to St. Louis, and few other places. Took some photos. Just kind of getting the feel for it. But as the summer has started to wind down I am beginning to really enjoy it and see it as a new hobby. I don't know that I'm a particularly good photographer but I've been happy with some of the results and some others that have seen my pics have liked several.

Now days I find I take the damn thing everywhere. When the weather turns a little cooler and I can't wear cargo shorts everywhere it is going to get damn uncomfortable with it in my jeans pocket (I got one with a 5x zoom and it has a little thicker body than some). Now that I'm doing that I find myself thinking, "Wow! Cool view. I should take picture." It's to the point where I'm on a long bike ride for exercise and I want to stop and take a picture of something. But it is making me see things I never really paid much attention to before. And I see ordinary objects a little differently or want to look at them from a different perspective. I even begin to invent little stories about them.

Like these guys.
Locked Up Rocks

What did they do wrong? Why are they all locked up behind that fence? There certainly are a lot of them. 100s really.
DSCN0491

And how cruel of a prison are they in!?! They sit there, locked up, and watch all the pretty girls jog / roller blade / bike past them on the lake front path. Or on the other side they watch all the sail boats slip past on the blue waters. The tranquility of them occasionally disturbed by a big, power boat cutting through the waves.

And it is so over crowded in their jail. There's no room for an excercise yard or anything. In fact, they're litterally stacked on top of each other. Clearly one would want to be on top. Is the pecking order like other jails, who's the toughest or belongs to the strongest gang. Maybe they have to bribe the guard or his dog?
DSCN0496

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home