Tuesday, September 18, 2007

That's A Wrap

In early August I started to write off the St. Louis Cardinal's 2007 campaign. Then they went and got back in the NL Central race. Part of it was the slipping fortunes of the Brewers and the Cubs but the Cards started playing some good ball lead by the feel good story of Rick Ankiel.

But after dropping 11 of the last 12 games, including 4 or 5 against the division leading Chicago Cubs, my favorite pro team has clearly come apart. I really dislike when I hear people use player injuries to make excuses for their team's failures. So, despite a plethora of them, I won't harp on them. One thing I will say is that the Cardinals are coming to end of a very emotionally strained season. It started with Tony LaRussa's DUI arrest in Spring Training. It was soon followed by the drunk driving death of pitcher Josh Hancock in April. Most recently, the team has had to deal with the major on field injury to Juan Encarcion, who after being hit with a foul ball off a teammate's bat, is fighting just to keep his eye sight.

Ultimately though, I think the biggest problem the Cardinals faced this year developed last winter. The Cardinals allowed two key starting pitchers to leave the team, Jeff Suppan and Jeff Weaver. In hindsight, Weaver has had a bad year but Suppan has had a very good year. And who knows, maybe staying in St. Louis would have helped Weaver continue his success. It is my understanding that the Cardinals offered both men contracts that would have essentially paid them the same amount they are making this year but the Cardinals offer was for only 3 years (a team policy). Both pitchers signed longer term deals. Although I agree with the 3 year policy the marketplace demands longer contracts. Signing at least one good starter in the off season is a must for the Cardinals. Two would be better. Its going to require the offering of longer term contracts.

None of this is to take away from what the Cubs and the Brewers have done. Both teams made the moves in the off season to make themselves better and they have gerenally played good baseball. Over the past two weeks, the Cardinals have not played well.

Now that it is clear that the Cardinals are out of the race it is time to start rooting for the home team, the Cubs. Not in a fair weather manner, but to support my home town and my friends who are Cubs fans. I'm just having a hard time doing that. My bitterness over this past weekend is just to fresh. I'm still first and foremost a St. Louis Cardinal's fan!

GO BIRDS!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home