Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Stop and Smell The Roses

It seems like every spring I have a moment when I stop, look around, and think, "When did the leaves come in on the trees?" And it seems like every autumn I have the reverse moment when I look at the bare branches and I think, "I don't remember the leaves changing colors!"

Now obviously both these things happened each and every year but I just don't take the time to notice them. I won't say I'm too busy every year because that would just be lying to you and myself. Now I live in the city so there aren't as many trees to reach out and smack me in the face with their changes as in suburban and rural areas but there are hundreds if not thousands that I pass by regularly. This year I resolved to pay attention. To slow down and take notice of the passing seasons. To watch the wonder that is mother nature right here in my very urban home.

And I did. And I saw both. Watching grand old trees (and not so old) go through a cycle of hibernation and reawakening - a cycle possibly millions of years old - is sobering and puts everything else I do in perspective. It makes me realize how fortunate I am to be alive, healthy, and able to be a part of this planet.

No more thinking about politics. No more griping about sports. No more worrying about finishing the project at work. Let's just enjoy what Mother Earth provides for a little while.

The Awakening of An Old Friend (the only spring shot I have)
Old Friends Branches

Maples in Millenium Park
Turning Red
Red Maple

My Neighborhood
Small Maple
Yellow Leaves

Lincoln Park
Fall Leaves
Red Leaves

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home