Monday, August 31, 2009

El Reading List

The current book (maybe I'll update the picture on the right) is Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens Our Future. I don't know at this point if I'd recommend it or not but the basic premise is scientists and the scientific community in America has become too isolated from everyday life. The author seems to be focusing on the points of isolation and what can be done to bridge the gap.

The chapter I finished just before my stop at Lake concluded with a brief discussion of the movie "Expelled!". The movie, narrated by Ben Stein, is pro intelligent design and even goes so far as to blame Charles Darwin's work for the Holocaust. The next chapter which I started is titled "Bruising Their Religion" and starts with a recap of kidnapping of Eucharist wafers by a Central Florida student and the subsequent bounty that a University of Minnesota professor put out on wafers so he could perform some "cracker abuse."

As I'm reading this I glace at the man sitting next to me. He was reading the Old Testament.

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

That's too funny. :) That book sounds interesting--would you recommend it?

10:44 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Ummm, I don't know. I'm about half way through the book and it's a lot of "side A could do better and side B could do better, too."

I'll probably write more about it when (if?) I get to the end of the book.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

OK, cool beans. Thanks.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home