Friday, October 02, 2009

Decision Day

A little over 2.5 hours from now the IOC will announce the city that will host the 2016 Summer Olympics. Chicago, by some measures, is the favorite and our big competition is Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.

I'm of mixed emotions. It would be terribly disruptive to the Chicago and with our politicians we'll be hit by even higher corruption taxes. On the other hand it will be exciting and a true opportunity for some money making. My brother in the construction industry could very well benefit and there will be thousands of people looking for places to stay during those two weeks.

I really don't know what city I'm rooting for.

UPDATE:
Hmmmm. It's Rio. I don't want to say I told you so...

UPDATE 2:
I haven't gone trolling for the reasons but I haven't heard or read anything that lays out the reasons Chicago lost the Olympics bid. Two things should be remembered. First, the IOC was not enamored with the temporary facility that Chicago had planned to build. Second, Chicago was very reluctant to sign an agreement guaranteeing full funding and even after the signing there was plenty of political maneuvering to limit the city's exposure.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Even though I thought Rio would win, too, it was still a shock that Chicago went out so early. Oh, well, whatcha gonna do? There are always pluses and minuses to things like this.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home