Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Are You Ready For Some Football!

Yeah, baby, that's right. Going to the game tomorrow night. Woohoo!


Wait? What? What do you mean that's not the right game? We're going to watch what?


A buddy texted today to say he had free tickets to tomorrow night's Bears pre-season game. He wanted to know if I wanted to go. I agreed to go.

I'm trying to remember, in my entire life, I'm guessing this will be about the 7th game I've ever actually attended. That's counting all levels of play be it high school, college, or pro. The first time was when I was 16 or 17 and visiting a friend at college. We went to see the Illinois State University team play. That was the FIRST TIME I had ever watched a game period. I'd never even watched one on TV up to that point.

I don't remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd quarter of that game when I figured out what "yardage" was. As in, the offensive team needs to gain 10 years to get a first down. I had some concept of downs from playing a few pick up games as a kid. Obviously we didn't have marked lines so we - and by we I mean people that presumedly knew something about football - would place cones along the sidelines. You had to get past those cones to reset the downs, i.e. get a first down.

I went to maybe 5 ISU games the first year I attended the school. Later, just out of school, on a road trip with friends we stopped over in Indianapolis and saw a Colts game. I remember there were cheerleaders. I couldn't tell you who the Colts played or if they won or not.

Last year I maybe watched, make that "watched," four games. One with the Calc Teacher, one with a buddy and the Calc Teacher at a local bar, the playoff game at a house party where the Bears were eliminated and the Superbowl. None of those games I really paid much attention to. Green Bay played someone - Pittsburgh? - in the Superbowl.

So why am I doing this? Damned if I really know. I do want to see Soldier Field now that Daley and the McCaskeys built that ugly-ass UFO inside the once beautiful columns. I had been to the pre-renovated Soldier Field to see the Chicago Fire and the Women's World Cup. So I guess that's it. And damn the McCaskeys for getting rid of the Honey Bears.

PS. The Fire won. The Women's World Cup match was actually a double header. The USA beat Nigeria and Brazil beat Italy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home