Monday, January 08, 2007

Random Act Of Kindness

Or an RAOK. My roommate always harasses me about some RAOK or another. Sometimes its just giving directions to someone who asks or holding the door to a pub for someone.

Last week I saw a real RAOK. It was a rainy day and a bunch of us were crowded under the bus stop trying to stay dry. When I boarded the 151 bus a couple with a baby in a stroller boarded just ahead of me. Based on their clothing I suspect that they were not overly well to do financially.

A couple of stops later a mid-20s guy got on the bus. He was dressed to the nines: Italian leather shoes, London Fog coat, very well pressed pants. He asked the bus driver if he had change (who was this guy?). Obviously the bus driver didn't have any. The young man went on to ask if anyone could break a twenty - he had about 4 folded together in a very shiny money clip. No one had anything. He was going to have to get off the bus at the next stop.

The father that boarded at my stop reached into his pocket and gave the young man $2.00 to cover his fare. "Happy New Year," the father said. The young guy thanked him and took a seat to play with his Blackberry.

It was only $2. Not a lot of money and I'm sure it wasn't a burden for the young family. But they didn't know the guy from Adam. But they gave him the money so he could get home and stay dry. It was truely a RAOK.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home