Tuesday, September 11, 2007

CTA Didn't Inspect Tracks

I wish I were, but I'm not surprised by these findings. The NTSB found that the CTA did not properly inspect the tracks that were the sight of last year's Blue Line derailment and fire. The article goes on to say that the tunnel was not properly ventilated and that hundreds of inspection records are missing from the CTA. I really, really wish I was surprised by any of that. This is what kills me.
[Cy]Gura [NTSB Investigator], who accompanied CTA inspectors on their rounds, said they routinely marked off on their reports as having walked and measured track in the entire 6 miles of their territories, even though they actually came up about 1½ miles short by the time their shift ended.

I mean come on people! How damn lazy and complacent can you get? Your job is to inspect railroad tracks, the NTSB is tagging along for a few days, and you can't do a full day's work just in those few instances. We truly are hiring a low level of hack in Chicago these days.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Iwanski said...

No story of laziness or incompetence at the CTA could ever surprise me.

There could find a dead body stuck in the slot of a farecard machine for eight weeks, and I'd yawn.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home