Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ronny Denied Again

So late Monday night I had this idea about a post on the Baseball Hall Of Fame, the Baseball Writers Assocication (BBWAA), and Ron Santo.

Then U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald went and arrested the governor.

So today I'll try to revist my original idea.

Ron Santo became eligible for Hall Of Fame consideration for the first time in 1980. Eighteen years later he's still not in and despite several rule changes to help his chances he is not getting any closer.

An honest question has to be asked, how many HOF players can one team have and not win it all??

But an even more honest question to ask is, so what? The BBWAA has proven they can't even accurately determine what happened over the course of the past 6 months. Why would one ever think they would get it right about something that happened decades ago? And you want to see their hypocrisy. Wait until Bonds becomes eligible and he is selected 1st ballot. They deny Mark MacGwire and will deny Sammy Sosa because of the taint of steroids but I all but guarantee Bonds gets in. Either none or all. But it won't happen that way.

And you can't tell me Bonds was clean.
Rookie Year


Bonds W/ SF Giants


And now, for years, the veterans committee has been denying the former Cubs 3rd baseman. I don't know why. Maybe they don't think a team that didn't make the post season should have 5 HOF members. I once remember reading/hearing that Santo was not well liked by a lot of his peers. Maybe they're holding a grudge. If true, why would one want to be a part of their group? Or maybe they are just disgusted by the groveling and self promotion that Santo and his supporters do year in and year out.

Santo retired when I was 3 years old. I have no recollection of him playing. He did put up good numbers in an era dominated by some of the best pitching baseball saw. He was a gold glove 3rd baseman and perenial All-Star. Maybe he deserves the nod. Maybe he doesn't. I won't make that judgement. I personally find his self campaign laced with a "pitty me, I'm sick" overture more than a little off putting. And with the sham that the HOF voting has become I don't understand why he makes such a big deal out of it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home