Monday, May 17, 2010

CSA, Week 1

I signed up for 1/2 weekly share of vegetables from a local Community Supported Agriculture farm. The other half goes to a friend of mine. The way it works is we pay the farm up front for our vegetables. They use the money to fund their operation and we get fresh vegetables for the next several months. We don't get to pick and choose what we get, they just give us what a share of what is fresh that week. Saturday's box contained:
  • asparagus
  • rhubarb
  • arugula
  • chinese cabbage
  • spinach
  • green garlic
  • oregano
  • chives
  • radish
  • kale

I confiscated the three stalks of rhubarb and made strawberry-rhubarb pie. The chives and green garlic have had some use. A tasty salad with some greens and radish was had before my double header softball game yesterday. I plan to use the kale and garlic to make some chicken stir fry tomorrow.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Dude, that sounds cool! Can I ask how much you pay per week? Or do you have to pay for 2-3 months ahead of time? It sounds like a good way to make sure you're getting a variety of vegetables. :)

1:59 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

I think the complete share for the year (May - Nov) is around $800. Each week's share is considered enough for a family of 3-4 that eats a regular amount of veggies. My friends and I are going through Growing Home. I'm pretty sure you can still buy in for Summer (June - early Oct) and Fall (Oct - early Nov).

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home