Monday, June 07, 2010

CSA, Week 4


A kohlrabi


This week's haul.

  • salad mix
  • lettuce
  • radishes
  • scallions
  • spinach
  • kale
  • kohlrabi (similar to above picture)
  • cilantro
  • thyme
  • strawberries
  • garlic scapes
  • dill


So I look at the list and think, what the hell is a kohlrabi? It is a vegetable created via artificial selection that is from wild cabbage. We only got one bulb and had to split it. I would guess that my half amounted to between 1/2 and 3/4 a cup.

I made it last night based on this recipe. I diced it and ate a couple of bites raw. It had the consistency of a raw potato and a similar, if more bitter, taste. Now it seemed foolish to use garlic powder the recipe called for seeing as I had the fresh garlic scapes. I diced up one of those, mixed the diced kohlrabi and some sea salt. I baked it for about 1/2 hour. It took on a more traditional cabbage taste and more tender. It was pretty good and made a great side dish. I don't know that I'd go out of my way for more but it I certainly would eat more if presented.

And, uhg, I got more dill. I just don't like dill and I have a sandwich bag full of the stuff now. I gave about that much away last weekend to the one guy I know that uses it. I don't know how much more I can give him before he cries uncle.

I haven't been a big fan of the kale that also continues to be a staple. My partner in the weekly share suggested I stir fry it. I'm going to give that a shot tonight.

UPDATE: All that kale is apparently very good for me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Oh my gosh, I love dill! Maybe we should meet up for a "dill drop-off." *hee hee*

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home