Thursday, March 12, 2009

When German Engineering Met Italian Design

In the Los Angeles area.

Before dawn Wednesday on a long, straight stretch of road in Newport Beach, Charles Lewis was killed when his red Ferrari collided with a white Porsche in an accident so violent that the red sports car was ripped in half and his female passenger was hurled into the street.

Police said the two cars appeared to have been traveling side by side at a high rate of speed at 12:57 a.m. on Jamboree Road near the Upper Newport Bay when they collided. Officers said they are investigating whether the drivers were racing.

The Porsche driver, identified as Jeffrey David Kirby, 51, of Costa Mesa, was arrested after allegedly abandoning his car on a side street near the collision and taking off on foot with his female passenger.


There's all kinds of angles here but I'm going to focus on this. A Ferrari and Porsche collide while street racing. The crash is so violent that the Ferrari, based on a racing car, was ripped asunder. The Ferrari driver is dead and his passenger was hurled from the wreckage (seatbelt?). The Porsche, whether under power or just coasting with residual momentum, continues on to be parked on a side street. The Porsche driver and passenger fled from the car on foot.

The Porsche did this and survived.





If I had the disposable income I want to own and drive a Ferrari F430 but I know what car I want to be in in a crash. Not the Ferrari.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Wow.

But I wonder how a Volvo would have done in that crash? Isn't that supposed to be the safest car?

Yeah, I know, it's not as cool as a Porsche. I'd rather be alive than look cool, I guess. :)

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home