Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Another Step Towards The Humanless Economy

Self service boarding of planes. (via)

I know I'm just shaking my cane and yelling at the kids to get off my lawn, but I refuse to use the self check out lines at grocery stores, Home Depot's and the like. It may not be a great job being a cashier but it is a job.

I think Oregon's law that requires all gas stations to be Full Service is quirky but according to my father who lives outside of Portland says the state doesn't deny one of the justifications is that it functions as a jobs program.

Henry Ford for all his faults, and there were many, understood that if he paid his employees a good wage they could turn around and buy his products. He created his own customers. Today we've not only moved beyond the living wage concept we are in the process of just not having jobs any more.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

The self-checkout at the Walgreen's at Clark & Lake is especially bad--I wouldn't even use it if they had more than one regular cashier.

It is sad to see the people whose jobs will be lost, helping fix the very machines that will take their jobs.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home