Monday, August 30, 2010

Learning Your Exercise Routine Isn't Up To Snuff

Alternate Title: Damn, I'm old!

I thought about posting this last night but I was too exhausted to open the laptop.

Yesterday my brother and I entered a 2-on-2 volleyball tournament at North Avenue Beach put on by the EVP tour, the only game in town now that the AVP has canceled all their tournaments for the year. We got there at 7:30 to help set up and started playing around 9:30AM. It was already hot. I thought it was going to be in the high 80s. One of the girls in the tournament thought it was going into the 90s.

Either way it was HOT day.

Over the next 7 hours we played 10 games. Doesn't seem like too much but remember that heat. I drank over 3 liters of water and never needed to visit the restroom. The sand was so hot we were pouring water on it and it still blistered my feet.

By the last match, best of 3 for the championship, I could barely walk because of my feet. My brother, at 36 just 3 years younger than me, was suffering severe cramps in both legs. The two guys we were playing, also brothers, were exhausted but in better shape than us. Then again, they were 18 and 19 years old. They beat us, but just barely. If it had been 10 degrees cooler ...

I slept for 12 hours last night and took a sick day today to stay off my poor feet. I would do it all again but I want to buy some sand socks first.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, I would have died! I'm exhausted just from an hour-and-a-half yoga class. :)

So good for you, for undergoing such an effort! :)

And is there such a thing as sand socks?? I never heard of that.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Yeah, quite a few companies make them. They don't completely keep the sand out so you have to empty them every once in a while. (or is it "once and a while?") They do do a good job of protecting feet from the abrasiveness and offer some protection from the heat.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home