Monday, August 23, 2010

Modern Chemistry

So after a week of battling Montezuma's Costa Rican nephew I broke down and went to see a doctor last week. She wanted to do lab tests to determine the exact type of bacteria has populated my intestines but I put a nix on that since it would have come out of my pocket and she was prescribing the same kind of meds any way.

Those meds, to be exact, are 1,000mg of ciprofloxacin and 1,000mg of metronidazole. This is some heavy duty shit. Cipro is commonly used to treat urinary and lower respiratory infections, typhoid fever, and anthrax in addition to treating diarrhea. Nidazole is used to treat lung abscess, diabetic foot ulcer, meningitis and brain abscess, bone and joint infections. Also there is absolutely no drinking of alcohol while taking the nidazole. I tried violating that rule for one beer at the Cubs game on Friday and was sick to my stomach for hours. Nidazole is also thought to be a carcinogen. Nice stuff, huh?

So far, the worst side effect for me has been the nidazole giving everything a metallic flavor. I'm pretty sure my mouth is made of copper right now. On the other hand I don't get painfully sick 3 hours after I eat any more.

A couple years ago the Calc Teacher was on this stuff for 3 weeks. After stopping treatment she had to go on pills that basically kick started her digestive system because she wasn't digesting food. I won't be on it for nearly that long so hopefully that won't be a problem for me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I hope you're feeling better by now! :)

I myself am on heavy-duty antibiotics right now--I wrote about it on my blog this morning. Did you know that a little infection in your finger can eventually put you in the hospital? Yikes! :)

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home