Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Huberman


Beat cop. Daley Chief Of Staff. Head of Chicago 911 Center. Head of the CTA. Now on his way to lead the Chicago Public School system. All that on his resume and the guy's only 37 years old

He takes over a school system that has a graduation rate of just over 50% (per NPR). Many people seem upset that Daley has chosen a non-educator to head the school district. I get that. Sometimes being led by someone who doesn't understand your job can be infuriating. But I say we should give the guy a chance. He's proven to be a very competent leader everywhere else he's gone. He had no transportation experience but has improved service across the system. I think we'll come to miss his leadership there.

I'm sure the school system is going to be more complicated but that doesn't mean he can't do it. Then again, if all the educational professionals he needs to do the work bails because they feel slighted then I fear he's doomed to fail.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good Leadership is good leadership. If he has the right educational eggheads around him he'll be ok. I think biggest issue in education, in Chicago or any where in the USA, is NCLB.

The biggest flaw is that we are judging schools based on non-comparable groups. Sorry, I digress.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Miss Healthypants said...

I say give the guy a chance. He might be quite successful at the job!

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home